- Why are college textbooks so expensive?
- What is the average cost for college textbooks?
- Where can I find cheap college textbooks?
- How often do new editions of textbooks come out?
- How can I get free college textbooks?
- Does Amazon rent college textbooks?
- How much does the average college student pay for textbooks?
- Why do college textbooks cost so much?
- Where can I sell old college textbooks?
- What is the best website to buy college textbooks?
- Where is the best place to buy college textbooks?
- What do you do with used college textbooks?
- Do editions of textbooks matter?
- Why do textbooks have so many editions?
- Why are international edition textbooks cheaper?
Why are college textbooks so expensive?
Textbooks are costly because publishers release expensive new editions each year, undermining the used-book market, says Alex Neal, CEO of Campusbooks.com.
“Since the publishers don’t make any money off used-book sales, their business model is to make the old editions obsolete and force you to buy a new book,” he says.5 Sep 2015
What is the average cost for college textbooks?
According to the most recent survey data from the College Board, college students spent roughly $1,290 on books and supplies during the 2018-2019 academic year. While virtually every college textbook today is available digitally, hardback textbooks can be costly.
Where can I find cheap college textbooks?
Buying On The Cheap
- Ebay.com. Bid on auctions or Buy It Now!
- AbeBooks.com. This site sells both new and used textbooks.
- Better World Books. If you’re feeling charitable, Better World Books accepts used book donations to eliminate trash and resells them at a discount.
10 Jul 2018
How often do new editions of textbooks come out?
Approximately 70 percent of publishers release a new edition of their book every three or four years. New editions have been essential to the balance sheets of large publishers like Pearson and McGraw Hill; they normally come at a significant premium to the previous versions (a 60 percent difference in cost).13 Aug 2019
How can I get free college textbooks?
11 ways to get free or discount books for college
- The first place to look for free text books is your university’s library.
- Bartleby.com has free books that can be read in your browser, so make sure to bookmark the books you need for class.
- Project Gutenberg has over 43,000 free ebooks.
- Borrow the textbook from a friend and take it to your local copy place.
10 Jan 2018
Does Amazon rent college textbooks?
Yes, when you rent textbooks at Amazon.com, you may purchase the textbook after the first 30 days of your rental period. Simply go to the Manage Your Rental page to view your rental library. Select the textbook you wish to purchase and then proceed through the checkout process.
How much does the average college student pay for textbooks?
That allowed students to spend as little as $31 per course on materials, compared to a national average of $153 per course, according to the study. Over the course of a year, the average college student spends more than $1,200 on books and materials, according to the College Board.26 Jan 2018
Why do college textbooks cost so much?
Lack of used textbooks: Publishers make no money when too many used books are in circulation. The cost of this practice is offset by the high price students pay for books. In recent years these review copies have often been electronic, but publishers still need to put money into promoting their products to professors.30 May 2019
Where can I sell old college textbooks?
Best Places to Sell Textbooks Online
- BookScouter. BookScouter prides itself on being the world’s largest textbook buyback price comparison tool.
- Bookbyte. Another great place to sell your used textbooks online is Bookbyte.
- Student 2 Student.
22 Aug 2019
What is the best website to buy college textbooks?
Fortunately, we’ve saved you the time and effort of trawling the internet yourself and have gathered a list of places to get the best deals.
- Amazon. Arguably, Amazon is the best place to find college textbooks at reasonable prices.
- Campus Book Rentals.
21 Oct 2016
Where is the best place to buy college textbooks?
Here are several top textbook sites for buying or renting cheap college books online.
- Chegg. Chegg is a wonderful site for finding affordable college books online.
1 Apr 2019
What do you do with used college textbooks?
In case you find yourself in a similar situation, here are 10 ways to recycle your old books.
- Donate to your local library. Bring your gently used books to your local library.
- Donate to a local charity.
- Make some gift tags.
- Recycle your unusable books.
- Sell them or give them away online.
- Make a “Free Books” box.
6 Jul 2017
Do editions of textbooks matter?
Usually, each version of a book has a few changes, but over a number of editions, those changes accumulate and significantly alter the textbook. Most professors are fine with the students using the previous version of the book or even an earlier version than that.3 Sep 2015
Why do textbooks have so many editions?
Textbooks can be issued in a new edition because of better information. Sometimes, however, they’re issued in new editions every few years because it’s the only way to keep the book selling in the face of competition from the used book market. For textbooks, this number is far, far lower.
Why are international edition textbooks cheaper?
International editions are cheaper
There are two reasons why they are cheaper: because they are printed in cheaper version: paperback instead of hardcover, sometimes black and white.23 Nov 2013