10 Ways to Recycle Your Old Books
- Donate to your local library. Bring your gently used books to your local library.
- Donate to a local charity. Bring your boxes of used books to your local Goodwill, Salvation Army or other local charity.
- Make some gift tags.
- Recycle your unusable books.
- Sell them or give them away online.
- Make a “Free Books” box.
Where can I take old college textbooks?
You can donate books at a variety of locations in your community, including:
- The Salvation Army. The Salvation Army accepts used goods donations, including hardback and paperback books.
- Goodwill. Goodwill accepts used book donations for their resale stores.
- Local Thrift Stores.
- Got Books?
- Reading Tree.
Can I donate old textbooks to Goodwill?
There are a number of organizations where you can donate books locally, such as The Salvation Army, Goodwill or Reading Tree. Moreover, you can donate your old books to the local libraries or a not-for-profit thrift store, which again is helping your local community.
How do you dispose of old encyclopedias?
By taking the right steps, you can recycle your encyclopedias easily.
- Check first with your local library or school district to see if you can donate your encyclopedias.
- Call your local recycling plant.
- Try giving them away online.
- You can also use your old encyclopedias as a craft project.
Can textbooks go in recycling bin?
If you can put paper in your recycling bin, chances are you can recycle books, too. There’s also the cover to consider, since it may contain plastic, cloth, leather, or other non-paper bookbinding materials. Some recyclers accept both hardback and paperback books, while others may only accept paperbacks.
Can you donate old textbooks?
A local option is to donate your books to organizations like Goodwill, Salvation Army, and your community’s thrift store. Local libraries could use your books in their system or find another avenue for book donation on your behalf.
Can old textbooks be recycled?
Most curbside recycling programs accept magazines and paperback books as mixed paper. Some programs specifically exclude hardcover books because of the binding, unless you remove it. You definitely want to check with your local program, though.