Easy ways to keep your books clean
- Dust them, using a vacuum cleaner armed with its soft brush attachment, or wielding a feather duster.
- Or, dip a clean rag in water, wring it out, wipe the books and then dry with another rag.
- If the cover of a book is smudged with fingerprints or smeared with food, use a damp rag to remove spots.
How do I keep my book in good condition?
If you love your books and want to keep them for as long as you can, below are some tips for properly storing them.
- Handle with Good Hygiene. Books and eating and drinking go hand in hand.
- Preserve the Structure.
- Store Books Cover Side Down.
- Store in a Dry Place.
How do I keep my books from turning yellow?
LPT Request: How do you prevent books from turning yellow?
- Avoid direct light. Both sunlight and electric light emit UV radiation, which is detrimental to paper.
- Air circulation.
- Humidity control.
- Temperature control.
- Separate your yellow books.
- Use a protective lining on your wooden shelves.
- Avoid mass market.
- Pray to God, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Athena, etc.
How do you take care of old books?
How to Care for Old or Valuable Books
- The Sun. Store old books (or any book you want to pay extra attention to) out of direct sunlight.
- Temperature/ Humidity. Keep the books away from heat sources like the air vents.
- Storing Books. Be sure you don’t shove your old books in too tightly on the shelves.
- Marking Ownership.
- Sources/More Information:
Why do books turn yellow?
Step 1: Understanding why books turn yellow
In fact, the culprit of yellow books is caused by an aldehyde group. To put it simply, the paper contains a substance called lignin which oxidizes when exposed to air and sunlight, which eventually turn pages yellow.
How do you keep books safe from insects?
The following five tips will help you preserve the books you wish to keep.
- Pay attention to heat, humidity, and light.
- Watch out for pests.
- Use good bookshelves.
- Keep books upright, or in short stacks.
- Pack books properly.
What is the best way to store books?
- Store books long-term in plastic bins.
- Find an appropriate space for storing your bins of books.
- Keep books in rooms with relatively low humidity.
- Keep books away from direct heat.
- Reduce exposure to direct light.
- Store books upright or flat.
- Protect books from bookworms.
- Store rare books in custom sleeves.
Why are the pages of old books fragile?
Chemistry Concepts behind the Fragile Looks of Old Books:
Over time, the aluminium ions (due to dissociation from aluminium sulfate) in the paper will react with moisture in the air to produce Hydrogen Ions (H+). This is the reason why the pages in old books become very fragile after long use.
Why do book pages turn yellow over time?
The exposure of lignin to air and sunlight is what turns paper yellow. Lignin eventually turns paper yellow because of oxidation i.e. the lignin molecules, when exposed to oxygen begin to change and become less stable.