How To Keep Silverfish From Eating Your Books
- Control humidity. Like moths, silverfish love a humid environment.
- Clean! One of the best ways to handle silverfish is to keep a clean house.
- Fill entrance points. If they can’t get in, they won’t be a problem.
- Use light and heat. Like vampires, silverfish thrive in the dark.
- Call a professional.
How do you protect old silverfish from books?
Method 2 Traps
- Set traps near or on bookshelves.
- Clean medium to tall height jars. Remove the labels and allow to dry.
- Wrap the jar with masking tape, fabric or another surface material insects can climb up. Do this all of the way to the top.
- Place food attractants inside the jar.
- Place near the books.
Do silverfish live in books?
These critters love damp, warm places, so you’ll often see them in sinks, around plumbing fixtures, in closets, on bookshelves, in bathtubs and in attics and basements. Silverfish pose no threat to humans, but they are pests in the house.
What is the best way to get rid of silverfish?
5 Ways to Get Rid of Silverfish
- Seal Up Food. Kittibowornphatnon/shutterstock. You don’t want to pour out a bowl of your favorite cereal just to find it’s swimming with these squirming insects.
- Reduce Humidity. Rido/shutterstock.
- Clear Clutter. AFrica Studio/shutterstock.
- Sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth. achristopher73/shutterstock.
- Try Some Traps. amazon.
How do I keep bugs off my books?
The following five tips will help you preserve the books you wish to keep.
- Pay attention to heat, humidity, and light.
- Watch out for pests.
- Use good bookshelves.
- Keep books upright, or in short stacks.
- Pack books properly.