- Register for your classes as early as possible.
- Find out what books you’ll need for your classes.
- Write down the following information for each book:
- Try to find the books in the library.
- Check your library reserve.
- Search for books on the Internet.
- Consider renting.
- Buy bundles.
Where can I buy books for college?
Here are several top textbook sites for buying or renting cheap college books online.
- Chegg. Chegg is a wonderful site for finding affordable college books online.
How can I get college textbooks for cheap?
Buying On The Cheap
- Ebay.com. Bid on auctions or Buy It Now!
- AbeBooks.com. This site sells both new and used textbooks.
- Better World Books. If you’re feeling charitable, Better World Books accepts used book donations to eliminate trash and resells them at a discount.
Is it better to rent or buy books for college?
Renting your books is usually cheaper. You pay the cost up front, which is a fraction of the cost, and just return your book at the end of the semester. We asked a student: “As an English Literature major I average 3 to 5 textbooks per class so the ultimate goal when getting books is saving as much money as possible.
How much do colleges pay for books?
That allowed students to spend as little as $31 per course on materials, compared to a national average of $153 per course, according to the study. Over the course of a year, the average college student spends more than $1,200 on books and materials, according to the College Board.
Should I buy my books before the first day of college?
Generally, wait until you go to class before you purchase your books. Unless you’re explicitly told to get the book and do readings before class starts (yuck), I recommend waiting until you go to the first class and receive the syllabus before buying all required readings. That’s what I do.
Does Amazon rent college textbooks?
Yes, when you rent textbooks at Amazon.com, you may purchase the textbook after the first 30 days of your rental period. Simply go to the Manage Your Rental page to view your rental library. Select the textbook you wish to purchase and then proceed through the checkout process.