- Why are textbooks so expensive?
- How much do students pay for textbooks?
- How much does an average college textbook cost?
- How often do new editions of textbooks come out?
- What should I do with old college books?
- How do I get an access code for a textbook?
- How can I get free college textbooks?
- Is it better to rent or buy books for college?
- Does Amazon rent college textbooks?
- Do editions of textbooks matter?
- Why do textbooks have so many editions?
- Why are international edition textbooks cheaper?
Textbooks are so expensive because professors assign specific editions and just five publishers have a lock on the market.
That means they’re able to drive up prices without fear of market competitors.
Why are textbooks so expensive?
Textbooks are costly because publishers release expensive new editions each year, undermining the used-book market, says Alex Neal, CEO of Campusbooks.com. “Since the publishers don’t make any money off used-book sales, their business model is to make the old editions obsolete and force you to buy a new book,” he says.
How much do students pay for textbooks?
The College Board reports that between course materials and textbooks, students can expect to spend at least $1,200 in 2017-2018 and between $1,240-$1,440 for the 2018-2019 academic year.
How much does an average college textbook cost?
The National Association of College Stores (NACS) says the average college student will spend $655 on textbooks each year, but with a single textbook easily costing as much as $300, that total can easily be much higher. In fact, the College Board puts the annual cost of books and materials at $1,168.
How often do new editions of textbooks come out?
Approximately 70 percent of publishers release a new edition of their book every three or four years. New editions have been essential to the balance sheets of large publishers like Pearson and McGraw Hill; they normally come at a significant premium to the previous versions (a 60 percent difference in cost).
What should I do with old college books?
In case you find yourself in a similar situation, here are 10 ways to recycle your old books.
- Donate to your local library. Bring your gently used books to your local library.
- Donate to a local charity.
- Make some gift tags.
- Recycle your unusable books.
- Sell them or give them away online.
- Make a “Free Books” box.
How do I get an access code for a textbook?
Get an Access Code
- If you purchased a new textbook, look for the access code inside the first few pages of the book or in the printed access kit that is shrinkwrapped with the book.
- If you purchased a used textbook, the access code has probably been used. To purchase access separately:
How can I get free college textbooks?
11 ways to get free or discount books for college
- The first place to look for free text books is your university’s library.
- Bartleby.com has free books that can be read in your browser, so make sure to bookmark the books you need for class.
- Project Gutenberg has over 43,000 free ebooks.
- Borrow the textbook from a friend and take it to your local copy place.
Is it better to rent or buy books for college?
Typically, buyback programs don’t offer you as much money for your books. So something you purchased for $75 might sell for $20 at the end of the semester. Since you own the book, though, you also have the option to keep it for future reference or sell online. Renting textbooks is much cheaper than purchasing books.
Does Amazon rent college textbooks?
Yes, when you rent textbooks at Amazon.com, you may purchase the textbook after the first 30 days of your rental period. Simply go to the Manage Your Rental page to view your rental library. Select the textbook you wish to purchase and then proceed through the checkout process.
Do editions of textbooks matter?
Usually, each version of a book has a few changes, but over a number of editions, those changes accumulate and significantly alter the textbook. Most professors are fine with the students using the previous version of the book or even an earlier version than that.
Why do textbooks have so many editions?
Textbooks can be issued in a new edition because of better information. Sometimes, however, they’re issued in new editions every few years because it’s the only way to keep the book selling in the face of competition from the used book market. For textbooks, this number is far, far lower.
Why are international edition textbooks cheaper?
International editions are cheaper
There are two reasons why they are cheaper: because they are printed in cheaper version: paperback instead of hardcover, sometimes black and white.