Textbooks are costly because publishers release expensive new editions each year, undermining the used-book market, says Alex Neal, CEO of Campusbooks.com.
“Since the publishers don’t make any money off used-book sales, their business model is to make the old editions obsolete and force you to buy a new book,” he says.
What is the average cost of a college textbook?
According to the most recent survey data from the College Board, college students spent roughly $1,290 on books and supplies during the 2018-2019 academic year. While virtually every college textbook today is available digitally, hardback textbooks can be costly.
How can I get free college textbooks?
11 ways to get free or discount books for college
- The first place to look for free text books is your university’s library.
- Bartleby.com has free books that can be read in your browser, so make sure to bookmark the books you need for class.
- Project Gutenberg has over 43,000 free ebooks.
- Borrow the textbook from a friend and take it to your local copy place.
Where can I sell my college books for the most money?
17 Best Places to Sell Textbooks for the Most Money
What do you do with old college textbooks?
10 Ways to Recycle Your Old Books
- Donate to your local library. Bring your gently used books to your local library.
- Donate to a local charity. Bring your boxes of used books to your local Goodwill, Salvation Army or other local charity.
- Make some gift tags.
- Recycle your unusable books.
- Sell them or give them away online.
- Make a “Free Books” box.