Textbooks are costly because publishers release expensive new editions each year, undermining the used-book market, says Alex Neal, CEO of Campusbooks.com.
“Since the publishers don’t make any money off used-book sales, their business model is to make the old editions obsolete and force you to buy a new book,” he says.5 Sep 2015
What is the average cost for college textbooks?
According to the most recent survey data from the College Board, college students spent roughly $1,290 on books and supplies during the 2018-2019 academic year. While virtually every college textbook today is available digitally, hardback textbooks can be costly.
How often do new editions of textbooks come out?
Approximately 70 percent of publishers release a new edition of their book every three or four years. New editions have been essential to the balance sheets of large publishers like Pearson and McGraw Hill; they normally come at a significant premium to the previous versions (a 60 percent difference in cost).13 Aug 2019
Where can I find cheap college textbooks?
Buying On The Cheap
- Ebay.com. Bid on auctions or Buy It Now!
- AbeBooks.com. This site sells both new and used textbooks.
- Better World Books. If you’re feeling charitable, Better World Books accepts used book donations to eliminate trash and resells them at a discount.
10 Jul 2018
Are college books expensive?
College textbooks cost too much — and something needs to be done about it, according to a report from the advocacy group U.S. PIRG. The College Board estimates that the average student in this country spends around $1,200 a year on books and supplies. A single book can cost as much as $200.2 Feb 2014
How can I get free college textbooks?
11 ways to get free or discount books for college
- The first place to look for free text books is your university’s library.
- Bartleby.com has free books that can be read in your browser, so make sure to bookmark the books you need for class.
- Project Gutenberg has over 43,000 free ebooks.
- Borrow the textbook from a friend and take it to your local copy place.
10 Jan 2018
Is it better to rent or buy books for college?
Typically, buyback programs don’t offer you as much money for your books. So something you purchased for $75 might sell for $20 at the end of the semester. Since you own the book, though, you also have the option to keep it for future reference or sell online. Renting textbooks is much cheaper than purchasing books.